For Immediate Release: Friday, June 25, 2021
Sacramento — In the leadup to a Republican-led effort to recall California Governor Gavin Newsom, NARAL Pro-Choice California is today reiterating its support for Governor Newsom—an unwavering champion for reproductive freedom. This recall is an attack on California values and a distraction from the critical work needed to address the enormous healthcare disparities and societal inequities in the state. California must continue building on the tremendous progress Gov. Newsom has already made to safeguard our fundamental rights and freedoms.
NARAL Pro-Choice California Director Shannon Olivieri Hovis said:
“When Governor Newsom declared California a reproductive freedom state, he set the stage for numerous efforts and actions that have made our home a more equitable and free place to decide when and how to start, grow, and raise a family. This recall effort is nothing more than a hate-filled, Republican-fueled campaign to unseat a true champion for Californians and reproductive freedom. Gov. Newsom’s leadership in this moment is critical now more than ever to advance healthcare coverage, access, and reproductive freedom for all people. NARAL Pro-Choice California and our nearly 300,000 members will continue to support Gov. Newsom and work to ensure California continues to have an established leader for reproductive freedom in the governor’s office.”
In 2019, Gov. Newsom issued a Proclamation on Reproductive Freedom, reaffirming California’s commitment to protecting reproductive rights and access to reproductive healthcare for all people. He has made good on his promise time and again:
- In May 2019, Gov. Newsom signed a joint letter with Oregon Governor Kate Brown and Washington Governor Jay Inslee calling on other states to enact protections to defend Americans’ reproductive freedom.
- He doubled the 2019 state budget investment in sexual and reproductive healthcare.
- Gov. Newsom championed the expansion of job-protected paid family leave, extending job-protected leave to an additional 6 million Californians.
- In his 2021 budget proposals, Gov. Newsom fought for pregnant people with low incomes and pregnant people of color. His proposals ensure that doula care services are a covered Medi-Cal benefit; extend postpartum coverage for Medi-Cal enrollees from 60 days to 12 months; and establish a guaranteed minimum income pilot program for low-income families.
- Gov. Newsom has signed multiple bills into law advancing reproductive freedom, including NARAL-championed bills to:
- Expand job-protected paid family leave to an additional 6 million Californians;
- Remove California’s outdated physician supervision of nurse-midwives to expand access to high-quality pregnancy and birth care;
- Expand abortion access to students at California’s public universities; and
- Address bias and reduce California’s alarmingly high rates of Black maternal mortality.
For over 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America and its network of state affiliates and chapters have fought to protect and advance reproductive freedom—including access to abortion, contraception, and paid family leave—for every body. NARAL is powered by its more than 2.5 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 7 in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decision for themselves about if, when, and how to raise a family.