NARAL Pro-Choice California Action Councils are currently in the Bay Area, Los Angeles and Orange County and work with NARAL staff to drive our legislative, electoral and judicial campaigns locally.
Want to join to start an Action Council in your region? Read below for more details!
What do I do as part of a regional Action Council?
As a member of your regional Action Council, you will be part of or help us start a team of 5-10 dedicated organizers building and sustaining a network of activists locally to support NARAL sponsored and supported bills in the State Legislature; take a stand against the Trump administration’s attacks; and elect pro-choice, pro-women candidates up and down the ballot. As a member of your regional Action Council, you will be empowered to take on a high level of leadership and responsibility to further the expansion of reproductive freedom in California through activities including:
- Expanding our network of NARAL activists through outreach and member engagement, including organizing tabling at events, hosting salons, happy hours, etc.
- Recording and inputting data of new members and conducting follow up with members
- Mobilizing support for our priority bills by organizing phonebanks, petition-signings, letter writing parties, etc.
- Meeting with local legislators to discuss NARAL’s legislative priorities
- Activating network of NARAL activists to help elect pro-choice, pro-women candidates in California through phonebanks, textbanks, canvassing, etc.
- Organizing rapid response actions, protests, and demonstrations
- Developing coalition relationships with other organizations locally
- Organizing educational briefings and events
Among the activities listed above, you will be able to work with NARAL staff and your teammates to determine the specific activities on which you most want to take the lead.
What is the commitment to being a part of the Action Council?
We want action council leaders to be committed for at least 1 year. This will be a 2-10 hour per week commitment.
What are the benefits of being a part of the Action Council?
Being part of a NARAL Pro-Choice California Action Council is an important leadership opportunity that will strengthen your resume and help you grow as an activist, organizer, and leader in your community. As a member of the Action Council you be able to develop skills in organizing, advocacy, and public speaking. As an ambassador for NARAL Pro-Choice California, you will be part of a national movement with a broad network of passionate activists. You will be provided with NARAL business cards, a NARAL email address and references for future career opportunities.
Who will help me in this position?
NARAL staff will be working closely with you in order to create the Action Council, launch campaigns, and do meaningful work that you feel excited about.
Questions? Contact Allie Lahey, Program Manager.